Custom Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Four Square

Well, this isn't exactly what I intended for the design, but I have a good idea of how to proceed:


It started out as a small repeatable square:


Which was connected into four squares:


I wanted to put an edging around the repeatable squares but was having trouble coming up with something that would fit. My goal is to make the edging repeatable, so that it will work with any amount of squares. Unfortunately, my first attempt (pictured at the top of this post) will only work with a sequence of four squares.

After that attempt, I looked through a few of Jan Stawasz's patterns and realized that I could make the edging from a mirror image of what was happening in the square pattern. I've got it all figured out on my iPad, but nothing to show just yet. Actually, while I was piecing things together, I stumbled upon another repeatable square, which I've been distracted by:


All of these designs are a continuation of the triangle theme that I've been posting about. I didn't realize how many paths this would take me down...this will easily keep me busy for the rest of the year!

7 comments:

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Lovely designs, Robin.

muskaan said...

My personal opinion is that the single square & the square repeats work great together & are 'self-sufficient'. While the edging is lovely on it's own (there's an optical illusion going on with the long chains between rows), it seems to hide the beauty of the squares.
But I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with :-)
Okay, don't you see a possible cross in the black squares ?! Something more to try :-)

God's Kid said...

Those are amazing!!! :) I love the designs!!! :)

Robin Perfetti said...

Yes, I agree about the squares, and hopefully the narrower edging I have brainstormed will work better. I was planning on making it much bigger too, with 16 squares instead of 4.

As soon as I finished tatting the first black square I saw the potential for a small cross and drew up a rough sketch. Who knew these triangle experiments would lead to so many possibilities?

Jane McLellan said...

I love the way repeated squares always create new shapes in between. I see that an edging can pull it all together, I look forward to seeing your solution.

Madtatter80 said...

I love the pink one the best and it really sets of tatting to frame it in like this. Your work is always excellent and I am always happy to visit another great tatting artist :)

Claire said...

Gorgeous tatting, as usual.
Love how the negative spaces turned out on the black one.
---
Claire
OClaireDeLune.wordpress.com